What to Pay Attention to?
Mole removal is a crucial issue. Why? There were times when moles were considered a beauty’s attribute and ladies drew them with a cosmetic pencil, above the upper lip or on the check, which was perceived like a sweet mark, adorning a female face. Nowadays doctors are sure that moles are the defects of pigment cells’ development, and the sun or trauma can provoke melanoma. Melanoma is a malignant tumor with all the signs of cancer. Skin is our biggest organ and live barrier protecting the organism from the negative and aggressive influence of the environment. A complicated skin structure includes the cells of different tissues, and each of them may undergo malignant transformation. Moles differ. Some of them must go through mole removal.
In general moles are specific skin formations, related to benign tumors, which though possess a tendency to turn into malignant ones. Mole is also a quite vast concept, including many varieties of new skin formations, like, for example, birthmarks and papillomas. The color palette of moles may vary from light pink to intense black. The moles and birthmarks, derived from blood and lymphatic vessels, are colored by pale pink or bright red color, while pigment moles get their brown or black coloring from melanin.
When to Consider Removal of a Mole?
- When you have a mole, located in the place, subject to frequent traumatizing. For men it may be the area of shaving or on the neck, where the shirt’s collar fastens.
- When moles enlarge or mount in relation to the surrounding skin’s surface, the risk of melanoma increases.
- When a mole changes its color or shape. Redness, cracks, bleeding in the area of a mole or around should alarm you as well. If you notice any changes in the skin pattern, contact a doctor as soon as possible.
Each of these signs should alarm you and urge you to seek for a medical help. Many ways to remove a troublesome mole exist. You may need a consultation of a dermatologist, oncologist or a plastic surgeon on the basis of the character of your skin formation. The procedure of removal is allowed only in the case if your doctor doesn’t doubt the fact that your mole is benign. After the moles removal, histological research of the removed tissue is conducted. Remember that it’s very dangerous to remove the moles on your own!
Mole Removal: Methods
- Moles may be removed by processing them with chemical substances. Cryodestruction is a method, when application of liquid nitrogen on the undesirable mole is used.
- The affected area may be processed with radio waves to remove a mole.
- Electrocoagulation is a procedure, removing moles under the influence of high temperatures. After the procedure a scar is remained.
- Laser removal is applied to the open areas of the body in order to avoid scarring.
- A method of surgical removal is applied quite rarely in the modern medicine due to a big quantity of side effects.
After a mole is removed, the area needs a special care. A dark scab is formed on the skin after the procedure. The specialists recommend protecting the area from the influence of water and various cosmetic products. Within the next 5 days a new a very sensitive skin layer is developed under the scab. If you remove it before the epidermis is formed, there is a risk of the scar development in the area of removal.
In certain cases a doctor may recommend you not to disturb your mole. As a matter of fact, a mole, 5-7 mm in size, has roots under the skin’s surface, which are much bigger in size than the visible part of the mole. After a removal, you never know how the roots of the removed mole are going to behave. This may be fraught with malignant formation.
To sum up, considering mole removal, remember that moles are benign skin formations and you shouldn’t afraid of them. However, in order to prevent negative consequences for skin, leading to cancer, avoid traumatizing skin in the areas where you have moles. Don’t apply exfoliation to the areas, don’t do tattoos or piercing on the skin sites, where you have moles. In addition, people with many moles should limit the time they spend in the open sun and various kinds of skin overheating.