Treating and removing genital warts with over the counter medication
Genital warts can be embarrassing for some people. They can be an absolute nuisance. Sometimes, they are even painful. Although most people won’t have to deal with this irritating condition, those who suffer from genital warts need a way to manage and treat the problem. Most options involve a physician, prescription medication, and sometimes surgery.
For those without the ability to get that level of care, or who just want to handle the genital wart treatment themselves, over the counter options are available. These treatments make it easy to handle the growths by yourself, at home, on your own time.
Table of Contents
Treating Genital Warts At Home
There is no cure for Human Papilloma Virus, meaning that the virus will stay in your body forever, causing breakouts of genital warts from time to time throughout your life.
HPV gets into the body through tears or breaks in the skin. There are many different types, only a few of which cause genital warts. The virus begins to accumulate in spots underneath the skin, creating a growth that then breaks through the surface as a wart.
For both men and women, these growths appear in different areas all over the genital region. In women, they can show up on the vulva, cervix, anus, urethra, clitoris, and inside of the vagina. On men, they can grow on the penis, scrotum, groin, urethra, and anus. The warts are usually raised and appear in groupings. Sometimes they are smooth, but often they have a cauliflower-type appearance to them. Genital warts can be itchy and in general do not usually hurt, although in rare cases they can be painful.
When prescription treatment isn’t an option
Most people will seek treatment from a physician when it comes to their genital warts. With doctor-guided care, there is a higher cost for medication, physician fees, and even facility fees. In some cases, it may take many visits to clear the outbreak completely. Sometimes you may decided that prescriptions or office treatment isn’t for you. If this is the case, there are over the counter medicines available, allowing you a lower cost and more control over your treatment.
These products are creams and gels made from special ingredients that are designed to work with the extremely sensitive nature of the genital region.
The reason that treatment for genital warts is different from that of other warts on the body is because of the very sensitive nature of the genitalia. On men, the penis has thousands of nerve endings. While this is important for sexual stimulation, it makes the skin much more sensitive to chemical ingredients. Skin of the vagina in a woman is also much more susceptible to damage than the rest of her body.
Choosing The Best Over The Counter Products For You
With so many options available for genital warts, it may be hard to decide how to go about picking one particular treatment.
Things to consider when choosing the right medication for you:
- Ingredients: There are many medications out there that use chemical agents to kill the wart. Ingredients like acids and other compounds may indeed get rid of the growth, but may also carry side effects. Conversely, there are also many medications that use much more mild, natural ingredients, but that may be slower to kill the wart. If you decide to go with over the counter medication, take care to go over all of your options when it comes to treating genital warts.
- Cost: Prescriptions and doctors cost money, and the amount depends on your health care coverage. And just like any medication, over the counter genital wart removers will also vary in cost. Research the products and their prices to get a good comparison that will help you make the right decision for you.
- Severity: The number of genital warts you are experiencing may influence the kind of medication you want to take. Some products are stronger than others and may work faster, yet be slightly irritating, while others may be slower, but more soothing. If you are suffering from a large outbreak, you might consider a medication that works faster so that you can rid yourself of such a large irritation and get back to normal as fast as possible.
The Top Three Over the Counter Medications for Genital Warts
Although HPV cannot be cured by over the counter products, the genital warts that come about from it can be killed and soothed. They will need to be used every time you have an outbreak. Click here to find out more information on HPV recurrence.
- Somxl: This cream uses stabilized Salycylic Acid and Ozone to shrink genital warts. The formula is gentle enough to use on the most sensitive of areas. Before application, dampen the skin, then pat dry. Apply a small amount of the cream to your warts, repeating the process morning and night. For an added benefit, rub on a special accelerator cream before applying the Somxl. You should always discuss the use of this cream with a physician if you are pregnant.
Vidarox: This liquid is made from natural ingredients that contain powerful antiviral properties. The product boasts the ability to kill the HPV virus at the site of the wart underneath the layers of the skin. Without inactive viral particles left in the skin, the chances that a wart will come back in the same spot are greatly lowered. Apply the liquid to clean, dry skin daily, using a cotton swab directly onto the growth.Warning
Most over the counter products are not approved by the FDA as recommended medication for genital warts. However, these products do use FDA approved ingredients and are shown in studies to help effectively treat and soothe genital warts. Always discuss any medication with a doctor if you are unsure of what to do, especially if you are pregnant, as some ingredients have been shown to adversely affect a fetus.
- Terrasil: Powerful, natural ingredients are used in Terrasil to stop the genital wart’s growth and shrink it down to nothing. Not only will the cream destroy the irritating wart, the botanical ingredients act to soothe and nourish the skin at the same time. No acids, harsh chemicals, fragrances or dyes are used in this product, making it a good option to consider in the over the counter medication.
Prevention is always the best way to avoid genital warts. Practice safe sex and always discuss sexually transmitted infections with any sexual partner. And although they can be frustrating and sometimes embarrassing, one thing about genital warts is clear – there is a way to get rid of them, to live with the outbreaks, and soothe their annoying side effects. Whether it’s through prescriptions or these effective over the counter remedies, genital warts do not need to rule your life.
You can find further details of Genital warts here.