6 Guaranteed Methods You Can Use to Treat Your Acne at Home
Acne is a crippling, disfiguring, heartbreaking disease. Because it creates massive, unsightly lesions on the skin, the shame that an acne sufferer feels is visible to the world. Unfortunately, because it’s considered a cosmetic issue, many people do not seek medical treatment for this devastating illness. Having acne is truly terrible, but for those who are struggling with it, sometimes a trip to the doctor’s office can be avoided by using home remedies to treat it. If you’re suffering from acne breakouts, keep reading to learn more about what home remedies for acne you can employ to get guaranteed relief.
Table of Contents
Best Home Remedies for Acne
While acne is undoubtedly a debilitating illness that can destroy your self-esteem, many people agree that going to the doctor for it may be unnecessary. Depending on whether you have mild or severe acne, there are several methods you can utilize to treat your acne in the comfort of your own home.
Butt acne (aka, “buttne”) is a variety of acne that forms on the buttocks. The bumps that develop are no different than the ones that manifest on the face, but many find that due to trapped sweat and chafing, the lesions can be more painful.
While it’s embarrassing, butt acne is nothing to be ashamed of. Having it does not mean that you’re a dirty, bad, or unhygienic person.
For quick relief from painful bumps, follow these steps:
- Wash as normal in the shower, taking careful care to rinse off all soaps and conditioners from your buttocks.
- Using a clean washcloth, use a specially formulated acne wash on your behind. For more information about Neutrogena oil free acne wash, click here.
- Dry yourself off thoroughly with a fresh, clean towel.
- Apply an acne cream containing benzoyl peroxide to your buttocks.
- Let the cream dry carefully before getting dressed, as benzoyl peroxide can stain clothing.
When applying topical acne cream to your behind, be extra careful to apply it only to your rear end. These acne creams contain strong medication that can be caustic or abrasive to delicate skin. If you accidentally get this cream in a sensitive area, immediately return to the shower and remove it with a gentle body soap.
If you follow these steps carefully, you’ll see results from your butt acne within a week!
Hyperpigmentation from Acne
Acne is the dreadful gift that keeps on giving; after your skin clears and the painful spot goes away, you’re still stuck dealing with hyperpigmentation from the acne lesion.
If you have lingering red or brown marks on your face after an acne spot goes away, you may be suffering from acne hyperpigmentation.
You can reduce the appearance of hyperpigmentation at home using all-natural cures that you can find in your kitchen:
- Apple Cider Vinegar: Apply a thin layer with a cotton ball. It contains glycolic acid, which is shown to fade pigmentation. Learn more about apple cider vinegar acne treatments here.
- Lemon Juice: Dab onto dark spots and the high citric acid levels in this juice will bleach your hyperpigmentation.
- Aloe Vera: Aloe reduces oiliness from oily skin and promotes cell turn over, healing dark spots faster.
- Papaya: An enzyme in papayas, called “papain”, is shown to encourage exfoliation, reducing the appearance of hyperpigmentation.
Acne isn’t just an adult problem. Newborn infants are prone to breakouts, too. A baby is susceptible to hormonal acne, just like an adult, due to lingering hormones from its momma.
Unsure if your acne is hormonal? A telltale sign is the location of the blemish; jawline acne, unlike forehead acne or acne around the mouth, is almost always because of a hormonal imbalance.
If you have sensitive skin, you may be understandably nervous about trying harsh treatments on your acne. Fortunately, there are several natural remedies you can use to combat your acne without irritating your skin. For more information about natural remedies for acne, click here.
- Green Tea: Soak a tea bag in hot water, then once it’s cool, apply as a tincture to your face. The antibacterial properties in green tea will kill acne bacteria.
- Aloe Vera: The gel inside this plant can be smoothed directly onto clean skin. It’s anti-inflammatory, which means it’ll shrink an acne zit.
- Honey and Cinnamon: Applying honey and cinnamon face mask is a double-whammy of antibacterial benefits and antioxidants.
The skin on your back is sturdier and more receptive to stronger treatments than the skin on your face.
If you’re looking for the best treatment to eradicate unwanted spots on your back (also known as “bacne”) and prevent ghastly scars, these methods can help cure you:
- Epsom Salt: A soak in a bath filled with a heaping cup of Epsom salt will eliminate your back acne due to the healing magnesium found in it.
- Oatmeal and Honey: Apply an oatmeal and honey mask and add to your back. Rinse off once dry. Honey is antibacterial and oatmeal soothes irritated skin, giving you a smoother complexion on your back. Click here to learn more about honey for acne.
- Baking Soda: The pH balance of baking soda is perfect for your acne-riddled back. It’s anti-inflammatory, meaning that it’ll reduce the swelling of your acne spots. You can learn about the benefits of baking soda for acne.
These treatments work equally well on chest acne, too! Simply apply the treatment to your chest as you would to your back. You can expect to see results in as early as one week.
Best Home Remedies for Acne Scars
Acne goes hand in hand with acne scars, and nobody deserves to feel so poorly about themselves to have to struggle with both. For those who have acne scars, there are many home remedies you can use to minimize their appearance.
For a milder treatment for getting rid of acne scars, consider applying a paste of coconut oil and herbs (mixed in a ratio of 1:1) directly to your scars.
These common herbs can help fade your red acne scars fast:
- Turmeric is anti-inflammatory and breaks down scar tissue.
- Nutmeg contains polyphenols that increase cell turnover.
- Sage is rich in antioxidants to rapidly heal scars.
Because this mode of treatment is so gentle, you can apply it directly to your face without worry.
Severe Acne Scars
Old, deep scars are tougher to remove. Back acne scars tend to fall into this category, due to the nodular nature of this type of blemish. For more severe redness and scarring, you’ll have to use a stronger treatment to successfully fade and flatten these scars.
For the most effective and reliable way to cure severe acne scars, try:
- Yogurt: The lactic acid breaks down keloid tissue.
- Tomatoes: The Vitamin C stimulates collagen production.
- Mint: The antioxidants in it will break down scarring free-radicals in your body.
- Egg whites: It’s full of protein, which your body needs to grow healthy skin.
- Cucumber: A puree of cucumber contains healing vitamins B and C.
If you have old, stubborn scars, then you may need to be more vigilant in your treatment of them. You can combine any of these ingredients together to make a more potent therapy for your scars. The best treatment, therefore, would include a combination of two or more of these ingredients to thoroughly fade your worst scars once and for all.
Large Pores and Acne Scars
If you’ve already applied all of the recommended treatments to fade your acne scars but you’re still struggling with large pores on your cheeks and nose, don’t despair.
You can treat gaping pores at home using these effective means:
- Sugar Scrub: Gently massage a mixture of olive oil and sugar onto your face, then rinse off. Your pores will look instantly smaller!
- Gelatin Mask: There’s nothing more satisfying than peeling off a mask and seeing the trapped gunk pull away! Mix one part unflavored gelatin with two parts water to make the perfect pore cleansing strip at home.
- Ice: Ice will shrink and reduce the appearance of pores. This is temporary, as the effects do wear off eventually. Repeat as needed.
Without a doubt, the worst type of acne you can have is the cystic variety. Also known as nodular acne, this type of acne feels like a hard, painful pea underneath your skin. Rarely does an acne cyst come to a “head”, which makes treating this type of acne particularly difficult.
When a cystic blemish shows up, you’ll want to be vigilant in your treatment of it. Failure to take immediate action can result in a cyst remaining for a month or more on your face or body.
The best way to shrink cysts fast is:
- Eat a healthy diet. Consume less sugar and milk, which are shown to cause cystic acne on chin. Eating foods rich in Vitamin A, however, can reduce acne cysts.
- Apply tea tree oil. This medically proven astringent oil will stop a cystic zit in its tracks. You can learn more about tea tree oil for acne.
- Crush an aspirin. Aspirin has aminosalicylic acid in it, a powerful anti-inflammatory. Make a paste of one tablet with five drops of water and apply it to a cyst.
More information on cystic acne home remedies you can find here.
Home Remedies for Overnight Acne Relief
Sometimes you have a huge event planned, such as a major presentation at work or a big date with your future soulmate. Times like these make having acne seem extra cruel and unfair.
If you have a big day tomorrow and you have a big zit today, then use these fast-acting methods for overnight relief:
- Aloe: After washing your skin, apply a thin layer of aloe to your skin. You may use this on body acne and back acne, as it is less likely to transfer or smudge once it dries down.
- Tea Tree Oil: Use a dot of this oil on your zits. You may leave it on overnight if you dilute it 1:4 with a carrier oil like coconut or olive. Click here to learn more about coconut oil for acne.
- Aspirin: Make your aspirin paste and cake it over your zit. Let it set overnight.
- Honey and Oatmeal: You can make a mask of honey and oatmeal to sleep in, but first lay a towel over your pillow to avoid damaging it. This is the best method for reducing blackheads for smooth, poreless skin!
If you use these remedies as advised, you’ll wake up thrilled in the morning because they worked and you’ll be able to conquer anything your day throws at you!
6 Breakout Treatments
A breakout can run your day, whether it’s just a small crop of blemishes on your chin or a whole host of them scattered across your forehead.
If you’re still struggling with an ongoing battle with acne, then take care to make the most out of the recommended treatments that you found in this article today.
The 6 most effective methods for smooth, acne free skin that actually work are:
- Aloe vera. Its anti-inflammatory properties are proven to work and will guarantee results. Click here for more information about aloe vera for acne.
- Lifestyle changes. Reduce sugar and dairy and increase your vitamin intake.
- Masks. Cinnamon, honey, oatmeal, and yogurt are all components of an effective acne mask.
- Apple cider vinegar. This ingredient is wonderful for you and should not be skipped.
- Tea tree oil. As a spot treatment, this powerful oil will shrink zits and fade scars. For more about essential oils for acne, click here.
- Epsom salt. A soak in this will penetrate your skin, healing it quickly.
Now that you know how to successfully treat your acne, you can start taking measures to have smooth, beautiful skin. You deserve happiness, and your joy begins now with crystal clear skin!
You can find further details of Acne here.