Top Methods of Eliminating Whiteheads Completely
You’ll opine that nothing will down your morale like a whitehead appearing on the most visible part of your forehead. Well, these stubborn whiteheads have a way of just popping up when you least expect them. Worse still, it’s like they wait for a signal; it starts as one small bump and before you know it, they have spread across your face in a flowery pattern! If you find yourself in such a situation, you’ll need to find the quickest way to get rid of them before the situation worsens and robs you of your precious outdoor time. This article has researched the best methods that you can apply to eradicate whiteheads completely. Read on to learn more!
Table of Contents
Whitehead vs. Blackhead: What is the Difference?
Just like the two words suggest, the most noticeable difference between blackheads and whiteheads is their color. The whiteheads have a highly conspicuous white color while the blackheads are equally visible but darker.
The treatment methods of the two types of comedones are different! While you can easily use a removal strip to remove blackheads, it is not advisable to use the same for whiteheads. Additionally, do not attempt to pick the whiteheads since it may lead to the spread of the bacterial infection to other parts of your skin. Always wash your hands before handling whiteheads to minimize infections!
Apart from the color, blackheads are open comedones while whiteheads are closed. This means that the content of whiteheads is not exposed to oxygen which keeps them white. On the other hand, the blackheads are open and exposed to the natural environment which results in oxidation of the content. Once the melanin is oxidized, it immediately becomes dark thus giving the comedone a conspicuous dark color. To learn how to remove blackheads, click here.
Best Ways to Get Rid of Whiteheads
The trick of eliminating whiteheads lies in ensuring that you eliminate their root cause. Read what causes whiteheads to learn more about this. You will achieve this by unclogging the pores and eradicating the bacteria that has led to infection on the site.
Here are several tips on whitehead elimination:
- Natural Elimination. You can eliminate the whiteheads by using natural methods. Most of these techniques are DIY and you can perform them comfortably at home. Some of the common items you can use include essential oils, potato juice, tomato juice, Aloe Vera, toothpaste, baking soda, egg white, turmeric, and green tea. You should apply them directly on the whiteheads for best results.
- Elimination of whiteheads under eyes. Whiteheads appearing under the eyes can be painful. Additionally, they pose a high risk of spreading a bacterial infection into the eyes which can have adverse effects on your sight. As such, you should quickly institute measures to get rid of the problem. Due to the sensitivity of the situation, we do not advice trial and error on these whiteheads. Instead, you should visit your dermatologist for a prescription of the ideal product. Before then, you can wash the whitehead with a lukewarm salt solution to reduce the growth of bacteria.
- Elimination of whiteheads on the face. Your face is at a high risk of developing whiteheads due to its exposure to dust and dirt. The most affected areas of your face are the chin and the foreheads. When these whiteheads appear, you should consider gentle scrub on your face. Before you begin the exfoliating process, ensure that you steam your face using a bowl of hot water to open up the skin pores. Gently exfoliate the skin using natural exfoliators such as honey, yogurt, and salt mixture. Also, you may consider using a face mask regularly. The mask may include egg white, baking soda, charcoal, and clay. Immediately after removing the mask, ensure that you thoroughly clean the face using hypoallergenic products.
- Elimination of whiteheads on the Lips. You’ll agree that having whiteheads on the lips is the worst experience! It limits your ability to eat and leads to an inflamed lip which is unsightly. As such, it is crucial that you plan for an immediate elimination strategy to restore your self-confidence. What’s worse about these whiteheads is the location; you need to be very careful not to apply products that are meant for external use only. If you’re not careful, you may suffer severe side effects as a result of swallowing the harmful products. Due to the sensitivity, we recommend that you strictly use homemade techniques unless a doctor assures you that your favorite cream is safe to be used on the lips. Some of the products that you may consider include honey, coconut oil, ginger, tomato juice, potato juice, and other DIY techniques.
- Elimination of whiteheads on the chest and back. The whiteheads on these areas can be stubborn to eradicate. This is because of the friction with the fabrics which increases bacterial infection thus enhancing their quick spreading. Also, clothes trap dirt which is directly transferred to these whiteheads. The situation worsens when the dirt mixes with the sweat forming plagues that further complicates the situation. The first technique of eradicating this menace is ensuring that you do not wear clothes that are excessively tight. Once you achieve this, you can use salicylic acid on the product to inhibit the growth of bacteria and thus stop their spreading.
- Elimination of whiteheads on the nose. Just like the lips, the nose has a very sensitive skin and you should avoid experimenting on it. Only use products that you’re sure won’t have adverse effects on the skin. You can regularly wash the affected area and apply topical antibacterial creams immediately. Also, you can visit how to get rid of whiteheads on the nose for more tips.
Here are 12 Best Remedies
Here we have gathered the most effective whitehead remedies for your consideration and implementation. You should realize that the best way to avoid the occurrence of these stubborn comedones is to ensure hygiene. Top-notch hygienic standards are the surest way to keep your skin free of the whiteheads. Can you, for example, remember the last time you cleaned your pillowcase or changed the sheets? If you’re struggling to remember, then you’re likely not changing them with the recommended frequency.
That aside, these are top twelve remedies that will eradicate whiteheads fast:
Benzoyl Peroxide Creams. You should look for a product that has a minimum of 2% benzoyl peroxide. The product is ideal for eliminating face whiteheads since it has antibacterial and anti-inflammatory properties. As such, this product helps to get rid of whitehead-causing bacteria fast. Example of products that contain ideal concentration are Murad Acne Spot with 3.5% and Neutrogena Acne Cream with 2.5% benzoyl peroxide.Benzoyl Peroxide can bleach fabric; use only on the face.
- Salicylic Acid. Products with this molecule are ideal for use when treating whiteheads on the chest, back, and other parts of the body. It decreases oil secretion and removes dead skins which aid in unclogging the pores. You can get salicylic acid products in the form of toners, astringents, creams, moisturizers, and gels. These products include Dermalogica Overnight Clearing Gel and Clean and Clear Dual Action Moisturizer. At home, you can use crushed aspirin to make a paste.
- Exfoliate your Skin. The whiteheads are primarily caused by blockage of the skin pores by debris resulting from dead skin cells and excess oil. If you need to completely eradicate these whiteheads, then you have no option but to regularly scrub your skin to remove the debris. You should only use products that are designed for use with your skin type to avoid sensitivity issues.
- Use Retinoid Creams. These products are made out of vitamin A which has anti-aging properties. It also unclogs the skin pores thus eliminating any chance of bacterial infection. You may start by over the counter products such as Adapalene and assess its efficiency. If you realize that it is not working, you may then proceed and consult your dermatologist for a stronger version of retinoid.
- Always keep your skin clean. Besides exfoliating, you should have a regular skin care routine that will ensure that your skin is always clean. It’s advisable to steam the skin occasionally to open up the pores and keep it aerated. Also, after removing the makeups, always ensure that you thoroughly clean your face. Be careful to use hypoallergenic and non-comedogenic products if you have a sensitive skin.
- Apple Cider Vinegar. The acidic properties of this product dry out the whiteheads and kill all the bacteria in it. As a result, you’ll experience accelerated healing of the acne without leaving any spots behind. You just need a few drops of ACV and cotton balls to apply on the affected areas at least once a week.
- Use of Baking Soda. You’ll need to make a paste by adding a few drops of water into a bowl of baking soda powder. Apply the mixture to the specific location of the whiteheads and let it rest for approximately fifteen minutes before cleaning it. The product has remarkable antibacterial and astringent properties which ensure fast elimination of the whiteheads.
- Use of Honey. The product has top-notch antibacterial properties that will quickly kill the bacteria on the whiteheads thus accelerating the healing process. To achieve maximum results, you can mix honey with essential oils such as jojoba, coconut, or tea tree oils.
- Aloe Vera. There are numerous Aloe Vera products you can use to eradicate the whiteheads if you’re unable to acquire the raw one. You should mix it with lemon juice to enhance its strength. While the Aloe Vera has unmatched antibacterial properties, the lemon juice has astringent properties which ensure a blemish-free healing process.
- Use of Witch Hazel Solution. You need to apply this solution twice a day using cotton. It has astringent properties that tone your skin thus regulating oil production which accelerates the healing process.
- Oatmeal Scrub. You’re required to make a paste using oatmeal and rose water. Also, you may include olive oil, milk, or lemon juice and apply it on whiteheads for approximately 20 minutes then wash it off. Repeat the procedure thrice a week for best results.
- Tomato and Potato Juice. The mixture of these juices has a powerful antiseptic, antioxidant, and astringent properties. Also, they tighten the pores which minimize oil secretion thus quickening the whiteheads elimination process. Moreover, the mixture contains lycopene which dries away the whiteheads due to its acidic nature.
Whiteheads can be unsightly especially when there are located on visible parts of your face. However, you can eradicate the problem easily if you adopt a strategy and then follow it religiously. You should go through this article to learn the necessary tips for whitehead removals.
You can find further details of Acne here.