What You Need to Know about Blackheads
You’ve probably heard numerous theories explaining the cause of blackheads. It’s likely that some of the myths have disillusioned you and severely hurt your self-esteem! Well, if you’re in a quagmire on what really cause these pesky blackheads, then you need not worry. This article will demystify all the myths that you have heard about the condition. You’ll learn that, contrary to the beliefs of many, the blackheads are not a sign of dirt. Rather, it is a skin condition that can attack anyone! The best news is, the condition is treatable. Read on to learn more about blackheads and their elimination.
Table of Contents
What are Blackheads?
Have you been wondering what the constellation of black spots on your skin means? Well, if the spots appear like small bumps on your face, then you are suffering from blackheads. You, however, shouldn’t be worried since the condition can be cured easily using simple techniques as detailed in how to get rid of blackheads.
Blackheads are dark bumps that appear on your skin when a skin pores are clogged by sebum and dirt debris. When your face is too oily, you are at a higher risk of developing the blackheads since the excess oil on the skin traps dust which leads to blockage of hair follicles. As such, you should always ensure that you regularly clean the face and undertake other blackhead removal techniques.
Blackheads are one of the two types of comedones; whiteheads and blackheads. They are dark in color since they are open and exposed to the natural environment. As a result, they are oxidized to form black dots on the nose, face, and the chest. Due to their dark color, blackheads are annoyingly conspicuous and everybody will notice their presence at first glance. This, however, should never put you down since there are numerous home remedies for blackheads that will give you the much-needed relief fast.
What are They Made of?
You’ve probably wondered what exactly is contained in the blackheads. Right? If you squeeze the surface of the comedones, a plug will spring out. This plug is primarily made of keratin and sebum. The keratin originates from dead skin cells while sebum is naturally produced by sebum glands.
When the dead skins and sebum mixes, they form a plug that blocks the pores on your skin. As a result, the hair follicle will inflame and the debris accumulates on the bumps. In most cases, the content of the inflamed bump is white due to infection and that forms a type of comedones called whiteheads. If you scratch the whiteheads and they are exposed, the melanin in the dead skin cells is oxidized to form a dark color that appears as blackheads on your skin.
Understanding the Causes
While the primary cause of blackheads is the blockage of hair follicles, there are myriad other reasons for developing the condition in different sections of your skin. Changes in the amount of hormone released during adolescent stages contribute greatly to increased secretion of sebum. If you fail to maintain regular skin cleansing routine, the oil is likely to build up and cause the blackheads.
However, you should note that blackheads are not a reserve of the teens.
Instead, the problem can arise in different areas of the skin of any other individual as detailed below:
- Blackheads on the Ear. Developing blackheads on the ear is common among people of all ages due to varying reasons including improper use of hair cosmetics, failure to exfoliate the skin to remove dead skin, and change of soaps to an unfriendly formulation. The ear is subjected to all forms of soaps, chemicals, and cosmetics you apply on your hair. The anatomical location of the ear makes it easy for it to interact with the hair thus being exposed to the oil applied to the hair. If you fail to regularly clean the ear, you’ll develop blackheads!
Blackheads on the forehead. Blackheads on the forehead are highly conspicuous and you may need to seek an effective blackhead treatment technique to eliminate them quickly if they are adversely affecting your interactions with people. Just like any other form of comedones, forehead blackheads result from blockage of the skin pores due to reasons including hormonal variation, drugs that lead to overproduction of sebum, or inadequate face cleansing techniques. You should strive hard to ensure that you regularly remove the dead skin using a friendly scrub.Note Better
While scrubbing your skin is an ideal method of removing the dead skin and resolving the blackhead menace, you should not overdo it. It’s advisable that you limit the frequency to at most three times a week to avoid bruising your skin which may expose it to bacterial infections. Also, ensure that you select a scrub that is ideal for use with your skin type; you’ll achieve this by critically checking the manufacturer’s recommendations before purchasing.
- Blackheads on the nose. The nose is a highly sensitive organ that requires extensive care to prevent the emergence of blackheads. The skin on this organ has more oil glands than any other part of the body which makes it highly prone to blackheads. The regular release of the sebum leads to blockage of the skin pores and consequently result in blackheads. The anatomy of the nose prevents most people from cleaning it which further enhances the probability of the development of the pesky blackheads. To learn on how to eliminate them, visit how to get rid of blackheads on nose.
- Blackheads on the Back and the Chest. These areas are primarily hidden and most people don’t bother with knowing how to remove blackheads located in these regions until discomfort creeps in. The regular scrubbing by fabric worsen the matters and may lead to spreading of the menace. As such, you should exfoliate the skin and use other elimination techniques to get rid of the stubborn blackheads.
Foods that Cause Blackheads
Unhealthy eating habits can contribute significantly to the break out of blackheads. You should always eat a balanced diet and ensure that you eat food rich in vitamin A and beta-carotene. Once you embrace such a diet, you’ll clear all blackheads for good.
On the contrary, the following food types can wreak havoc if you get into the habit of regularly consuming them:
- High-Fat and High-Sugar Diet. These junk foods derail skin regeneration which results in debris clogging the skin pores and consequently blackheads.
- Diet low in essential oils. Failure to eat food rich in essential oils will drag you behind in your battle with blackheads. Ensure to always consume nuts including walnuts, peanuts, groundnuts, and peanuts.
- Failure to Keep Hydrated. Always ensure that you drink plenty of fluids to keep your skin hydrated. Failure to drink enough water is a leading cause of blackheads among people of all ages.
Other Causes of Blackheads
Apart from poor diet and poor skin maintenance habits, there are several other factors that can result in blackheads. However, all these methods revolve around overproduction of sebum leading to clogging of skin pores.
- Steroid-Based Medications. When you are undergoing treatment using steroids medicine, there will be hormonal variation which will lead to overproduction of sebum. When the skin is too oily, it significantly increases the chances of tapping dirt which leads to blackheads. If you’re undergoing such treatments, you should combine it with frequent cleaning of your skin to get rid of the excess oil.
- Natural Hormonal Changes. This happens when teens undergo adolescent stage, women are pregnant, or the elderly during the menopause stage. The hormonal changes lead to accumulation of oil on the skin which increases the chance of developing blackheads.
How Can I Avoid Blackheads?
The primary tip to avoid blackhead is ensuring that you regularly clean your skin using friendly soaps. This is a crucial stage in ensuring that your face maintains its natural, smooth texture. The skin cells regularly die to pave way for skin regeneration. If you fail to remove the dead skin, they will form debris on the skin which will block the skin pores leading to blackheads. As such, it is crucial that you scrub your skin at least twice a week to open up the pores and enhance aeration.
Additionally, ensure that you entirely remove your makeups to prevent the buildup of debris on your skin. Once you remove them at night, ensure to gently wash the skin using warm water and your ideal soap.
You should always avoid switching cosmetic products anyhow. Instead, select the ideal ones for your skin and stick to them to avoid suffering from allergic reactions which will either exacerbate the blackheads on your skin or lead to an emergence of fresh ones altogether. If you must keep changing the products, then you must know the specific type of your skin to ensure that you purchase products specially made for you.
Also, you should always use non-comedogenic and hypoallergenic products which are specially made for acne-prone skins. These products guarantee that you won’t have skin irritations and significantly minimizes the chances of developing blackheads.
You also need to ensure that you consume well-balanced meals. Avoid junk and oily foods to ensure a healthy skin all through. Instead, you should embrace food rich in vitamins including fruits and vegetables.
Proper diet enhances skin regeneration which keeps it young! Keep strict diet guidelines that will entirely eliminate the chance of blackhead development.
Blackhead treatment can be simple or complicated depending on your input and determination to get rid of them in the shortest time possible. It is possible to get rid of the menace using blackheads strips, blackhead removal tools, homemade remedies, or engaging a professional in the process.
There are various factors that determine the treatment method that you adapt to eradicate the blackheads completely. Some of the primary factors that you should consider include the urgency of the treatment, skin type, and the severity of the problem. If you wish to learn how to get rid of blackheads overnight, we recommend that you consult your dermatologist since it may involve prescription products. However, if you are willing to take your time and eliminate them slowly but surely, then you may adopt various DIY techniques and watch as your skin’s texture and appearance transforms for the better!
Blackheads elimination can be problematic if you fail to get the tricks right. Worse still, the dark color makes them highly conspicuous which is further annoying! As such, you need to devise methods that will eliminate them for good and help you regain the integrity of your skin. We’ve included crucial information that you need to have to boost your blackhead elimination fight.
You can find further details of Acne here.