There’s no other way to say it – acne sucks. This common skin disease affects approximately 17 million Americans, from pre-teens to adults, and can show up on many different areas of the body. Back acne is a type that can be hard to live with. Leaning back against a couch, the seat of a car, or lying in bed is often extremely uncomfortable when acne is covering your back. And it’s not an easy area to reach – most people have a hard time knowing how to get to it and destroy the acne for good.
Table of Contents
Treating Back Acne
When acne spreads to your back – otherwise known as “bacne” – it can be especially annoying. Because the pores on your back are bigger, they can become clogged more easily than the face, needing somewhat of a different approach when it comes to treatment. Since there are different ways pimples develop – such as through hormones or excess oil production – it may be frustrating to figure out what causes back acne for you personally.
There are medicated options to get rid of acne on your back such as salicylic acid, benzoyl peroxide, and antibiotics. Lifestyle changes, skin-care routines, and home remedies are also ways to conquer it. Make no mistake – back acne can be defeated.
A Quick Solution For Back Acne
Spot Treatments: As part of a regular skin-care routine, using products specifically designed to dab right onto the acne can be very beneficial. Most come in the form of a gel or cream. Origins Super Spot Removal Acne Treatment Gel ($16) uses salicylic acid, along with a blend of saw palmetto and red algae to clear up blemishes. Another option is a cream like Proactive Spot Fix Duo ($80). This spot treatment uses salicylic acid and natural cleansers to kill bacteria inside your acne, while also drawing out excess oil and impurities. The kit also comes with an exfoliating soap bar as an extra cleansing option.Store spot treatments in the refrigerator for extra cooling relief.
- Acne Soothers: The redness and swelling that come along with infected, clogged pores can be extremely uncomfortable at times. Products are readily available that are made just for the specific purpose of soothing redness and irritation. Look for ingredients like aloe vera, witch hazel, or natural clay for great results. Proactive Redness Relief Serum ($52) uses green tea and hyaluronic acid to calm down redness and irritation.
Beating Acne On Your Back For Good
While a quick fix might be a welcome relief, it won’t solve the problem of your back acne permanently. Getting rid of bacne for good requires a healthy, daily skin-care regimen.
Products To Try:
- Dial Acne Control Body Wash: Made with maximum strength salicylic acid, this body wash helps to kill pore-clogging bacteria and can clear up back acne within days.
- PanOxyl Acne Foaming Wash: This powerful cleanser is made especially for the neck, chest, and back, and uses 10% benzoyl peroxide to kill bacteria.
- Loofah Back Scrubber by Deneve: Using all natural fibers, this long loofah strip has a handle on each end to make back exfoliation incredibly easy. While one side is rough, gently scrubbing away oil and dead skin, the other is smooth, giving you a soothing, polishing effect. Be careful not to scrub too hard, though, as over-exfoliation can actually damage your skin and cause more acne.
- BrusyBrush Bath Dry Brush Scrubber: The long handle on this brush makes scrubbing the oil and dead skin from your back a breeze. Not only can you use it in the shower with or without a good cleanser, you can also use it as a dry brush, improving circulation underneath the skin for a healthier glow.
Make sure that your back loofah is cleaned regularly, as bacteria and mold can easily grow on its surface. Once a week, soak it in a diluted bleach solution for 5 minutes, then rinse thoroughly. Always hang to dry – leaving the loofah on the wet shower floor can encourage bacteria to grow. Replace your loofah every 4 weeks.
Natural Home Remedies for Bacne
Sometimes, you might not want to use over-the-counter or prescription products.
Fortunately, there are many alternative, natural ways to help you stop back acne:
Adequate hydration isn’t just good for keeping body systems running smoothly – it’s excellent for the health of your skin as well. About 70% of your body is made up of water, which includes blood and lymph system material. The water in your system helps to carry materials around your body, including wastes and toxins. When your skin doesn’t have enough water to flush out those toxins, they can build up in places like your skin, helping to clog up pores and cause acne. Aim for around 11 cups a day to keep your skin fully hydrated.
Green Tea Extract
Green Tea has a powerful anti-inflammatory compound that inhibits the growth of several different microorganisms. Studies have shown that it also decreases oil production by 50%, and helps to balance out the hormones that may cause acne to appear.
There are several different ways to use green tea to fight acne. First, you can simply drink it. Ingesting the tea will give you the benefit of hormone and oil regulation. When used topically, the brewed tea can be sprayed or spread onto your back acne directly. Green tea powder can be combined with other natural products like coconut oil, honey, or apple cider vinegar and applied as a paste for powerful acne fighting effects. With both types of application, let it dry and then wash off with clean water.Some natural remedies can be just as effective as prescriptions.
Cleansing masks don’t have to be only for your face. Many home recipes for acne-fighting masks can be used on your back as well. Common combinations include oatmeal and honey, cinnamon and honey, milk and oatmeal, and turmeric and mint.
Mix the ingredients together and apply in a layer on your back, then let dry. Gently wash the mask off of your body with warm water.
- Calendula Tea
Calendula, which is an ingredient made from the Marigold flower, has been known for its soothing power for thousands of years. Its biggest strength is calming the huge amount of inflammation that comes with back acne, but Calendula also acts as a bacteria-killer, clearing your infected pores.
Dab some Calendula oil straight onto your bacne, let dry, and then wash off with clean water. It can also be ingested as a brewed tea for excellent effects on the skin as well.
For Severe Cases Of Back Acne
- Neem Oil
Neem oil comes from the Neem tree, which is indigenous to Asia and parts of Africa. It is known as a powerful acne-fighter. Neem oil kills bacteria already in the skin and helps prevent the growth of anything new. It has a proven anti-inflammatory effect, soothing the pain and irritation of your back acne. As an added bonus, Neem oil used topically also lightens any scars that acne may leave behind.
Apply the Neem oil directly to your back acne, let dry, then wash off with clean water.
This yellowish spice comes from the Turmeric plant and is commonly used in Asian food. It has been shown for thousands of years to be effective against a whole variety of health problems. As a powerful anti-inflammatory and anti-oxidant, Turmeric will calm the irritation of your back acne and improve its appearance. It will kill the acne’s bacteria as well, and inhibit new growth that leads to even more acne.
Use Turmeric powder to mix with other natural components such as coconut oil, lemon juice, mint juice, apple cider vinegar, or honey, and apply all over your back acne. Once completely dry, wash off with warm water. Be careful, as Turmeric can stain your clothing and sheets. Make sure to wash off completely before dressing or getting into bed.Interesting
The yellow pigment of Turmeric is made up of curcumin, a powerful anti-inflammatory. Its effects have been shown in studies to be as potent as the prescription anti-inflammatories hydrocortizone and phenylbutazone, as well as over-the-counter medications like ibuprofin. Unlike these drugs, curcumin risks no kind of toxic side effects.
- Willow Bark
The extract from the bark of the Black Willow tree is rich with hydroxy acids, including the acne-killer salicylic acid. Using powdered Willow Bark, mix it with coconut oil, apple cider vinegar, mint juice, or honey to make a paste. Spread it on your back acne until completely dry, then wash off with clean water.
Methods To Rid Yourself Of Back Acne In One Week
- The cheapest, most effective way to prevent back acne is by regular skin cleansing. But simply showering once a day won’t do it – you must make sure to shower immediately after exercise or just any time that sweat accumulates on your back. The majority of back acne can be prevented or treated quickly this way.
- Being diligent about skin-care and balancing your routine correctly is an important method of back acne removal. Besides keeping your back clean and dry, your blemishes need a careful treatment of exfoliation and cleansing. If used correctly on a daily basis, bacne will quickly be banished for good.
- Moisturize efficiently. Although it may seem counterproductive to keep your acne-prone skin hydrated, ensuring that your back stays moisturized is important in keeping it clear. When your skin gets too dry and flaky, more dead skin sits on the surface, which then will clog your pores and lead to more acne. Make sure to use an oil-free, lightweight moisturizer that lets your skin breath.
When you break out in back acne, you don’t have to break out in stress as well – when used correctly and diligently, methods of bacne treatment can get rid of this uncomfortable problem quickly. Whether it’s a daily skin-care regimen, prescription medication, or a natural home remedy, banishing back acne is easier than ever.
You can find further details of Back acne here.